WASHINGTON — Israeli and Arab envoys met for the second time at a Swiss resort late last month to confer on the agenda for regional talks about a possible ban on weapons of mass destruction, but some key differences remain, according to sources familiar with the discussions.
One central stumbling block: Determining which arms could be discussed, insiders tell Global Security Newswire. While Arab states insist that the focus must remain on nuclear, biological and conventional weapons and delivery systems, Israel says the role of unconventional systems cannot be discussed outside of the broader context of threats to national security in the Middle East.
“With support from Western co-conveners,” Israel “pressed for inclusion” of conventional weaponry and confidence- and security-building measures “as part of the overall discussion on a WMD- [and] delivery vehicles-free zone,” said one informed observer who spoke on condition of anonymity, citing the sensitivity of the behind-closed-doors consultations.
The Arab side’s position was “to focus only on [a] WMD- [and related] delivery-vehicles-free zone,” this source said.
Multiple insiders described the tone of the meetings last month as cordial and constructive, though.
There were “no absolute noes, no absolute yeses” to any topic under discussion, said one diplomat close to the process, suggesting that the international dialogue has the potential to continue.
The Nov. 25-26 gathering was preceded by an October confab at the same Glion location at which Israeli, Arab and Iranian officials met for the first time with the aim of sorting out an agenda for a major conference to be held in Finland.
Diplomats from Iran did not take part in the most recent Glion meetings. Key officials were said to be busy working on international talks over their country’s contested nuclear program, though it was unclear whether any additional issues also were factors in the absence. Source said that Tehran had not ruled out rejoining any further WMD-free zone consultations.
The major Helsinki conference to explore the concept of a Mideast WMD ban was to have taken place last year. However, it was postponed indefinitely when the regional states — along with convening nations Russia, the United Kingdom and United States — were unable to agree on terms for participation.
Finnish diplomat Jaakko Laajava, the U.N.-sponsored facilitator for the process, is now eyeing a third session at Glion, possibly early next year, GSN has learned.
This meeting would be “to seek agreement on the modalities of the organization of the [Middle East] conference to be held in Helsinki in the first half of 2014,” one source said this week. Others also close to the process confirmed discussion of that possible time frame for the Helsinki event.
However, the potential timing might be overly optimistic for the proposed talks, because modalities — that’s diplo-speak for agenda and ground rules — “will be difficult to agree upon absent agreement on the scope and mandate of the [Middle East] conference,” the insider said.
If plausible, though, an early- to mid-year Helsinki gathering could suit WMD-free-zone advocates. Egyptian Foreign Minister Nabil Fahmy in September called for the major talks to be held “by spring 2014, at the latest.”
He and other Arab leaders continue to press Laajava and the convening nations to set a date for the Helsinki conference, with or without Israeli assent to participate.
However, a key international resolution on the matter said the conference must include the voluntary participation of all states in the region. That wording has effectively given veto power to Israel or any other Mideast nation regarding whether the conference is held, several expert sources say.
Egypt has led the effort to convene the Middle East WMD discussions and has sought progress on the matter prior to the next preparatory committee meeting on the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty. That gathering is slated to begin in late April in New York.
To protest the 2012 postponement of the Helsinki talks, the Egyptian delegation walked out on the previous NPT preparatory meeting — held last April in Geneva — at which treaty member nations continued planning for a 2015 review conference.
This article was published in Global Security Newswire, which is produced independently by National Journal Group under contract with the Nuclear Threat Initiative. NTI is a nonprofit, nonpartisan group working to reduce global threats from nuclear, biological, and chemical weapons.
What We're Following See More »
When it comes to name-calling among America's upper echelon of politicians, there may be perhaps no greater spat than the one currently going on between Sen. Elizabeth Warren and Donald Trump. While receiving an award Tuesday night, she continued a months-long feud with the presumptive GOP presidential nominee. Calling him a "small, insecure moneygrubber" who probably doesn't know three things about Dodd-Frank, she said he "will NEVER be president of the United States," according to her prepared remarks."We don't know what Trump pays in taxes because he is the first presidential nominee in 40 years to refuse to disclose his tax returns. Maybe he’s just a lousy businessman who doesn’t want you to find out that he’s worth a lot less money than he claims." It follows a long-line of Warren attacks over Twitter, Facebook and in interviews that Trump is a sexist, racist, narcissistic loser. In reply, Trump has called Warren either "goofy" or "the Indian"—referring to her controversial assertion of her Native American heritage.
The House on Tuesday voted 403-12 "to pass an overhaul to the nation’s chemical safety standards for the first time in four decades. The Frank R. Lautenberg Chemical Safety for the 21st Century Act aims to answer years of complaints that the Environmental Protection Agency lacks the necessary authority to oversee and control the thousands of chemicals being produced and sold in the United States. It also significantly clamps down on states’ authorities, in an effort to stop a nationwide patchwork of chemical laws that industry says is difficult to deal with."
"Leaders of the Republican Party have begun internal deliberations over making fundamental changes to the way its presidential nominees are chosen, a recognition that the chaotic process that played out this year is seriously flawed and helped exacerbate tensions within the party." Among the possible changes: forbidding independent voters to cast ballots in Republican primaries, and "doubling the number of early states to eight."
Citing the unpredictable nature of this primary season and the possible leverage they could bring at the convention, John Kasich is hanging onto his 161 delegates. "Kasich sent personal letters Monday to Republican officials in the 16 states and the District of Columbia where he won delegates, requesting that they stay bound to him in accordance with party rules."
"Speaker Paul Ryan is changing the rules of how the House will consider spending measures to try to prevent Democrats from offering surprise amendments that have recently put the GOP on defense. ... Ryan announced at a House GOP conference meeting Tuesday morning that members will now have to submit their amendments ahead of time so that they are pre-printed in the Congressional Record, according to leadership aides." The change will take effect after the Memorial Day recess.