China, Japan and South Korea last week finalized plans to rapidly share data amongst themselves on potential future atomic crises, the Wall Street Journal reported on Wednesday.
The Asian governments pledged to promptly establish email accounts and telephone lines specifically designated for swapping information on even relatively minor atomic events.
The 2011 disaster at Japan’s Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant received the most serious rating on a seven-tier scale and prompted concerns about contaminants spreading to China and South Korea. However, the three nations also committed to inform each other of developments as small as level-2 atomic “incidents,” as well as level-1 “anomalies” deemed to be of general concern.
Additionally, accident-prevention and -mitigation blueprints are expected to be exchanged as part of the deal, which atomic authorities from the three powers signed last Thursday in the Chinese city of Taishan.
The arrangement does not cover atomic-energy activities overseen by China’s armed forces, said Lee Jae-sung, who oversees South Korea’s Nuclear Safety and Security Commission. Even so, Lee said, the plan is “unprecedented.”
This article was published in Global Security Newswire, which is produced independently by National Journal Group under contract with the Nuclear Threat Initiative. NTI is a nonprofit, nonpartisan group working to reduce global threats from nuclear, biological, and chemical weapons.