2012 POLITICAL CONVENTIONS
The Hispanic Surge and the New Landscape of American Politics
National Journal, Univision News and ABC News jointly presented discussions at both 2012 national political conventions featuring politicians, strategists and commentators examining how growth in the Hispanic community and other key demographic trends are dramatically shifting U.S. policy and politics.
At the Sept. 5 session during the Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, N.C.:
- Featured guests: Rep. Xavier Becerra, D-Calif., vice chairman of the House Democratic Caucus; Julian Castro, mayor of San Antonio; and Antonio Villaraigosa, mayor of Los Angeles.
- Moderators: Ronald Brownstein, National Journal; Maria Elena Salinas, Univision; and Jake Tapper, ABC News.
At the Aug. 29 session during the Republican National Convention in Tampa, Fla.:
- Featured guests: Rep. Mario Diaz-Balart, R-Fla.; Mel Martinez, former U.S. senator from Florida and chair of the RNC; Whit Ayres, president, North Star Opinion Research, and Ana Navarro, Republican strategist and Huntsman 2012 national Hispanic co-chair; and Mark Shurtleff, attorney general for Utah.
- Moderators: Ronald Brownstein, National Journal; Jorge Ramos of Univision; and Diane Sawyer of ABC News.
DIVERSITY SUMMIT: Demography and the National Agenda
National Journal's ground-breaking series kicked off April 19 with a keynote interview with Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., and included other prominent panelists and commentators. Watch the day's event below or select specific segments here, based on the entire lineup.
Also on hand was Atlantic Media political director Ronald Brownstein, discussing the National Journal article about the first University of Phoenix/National Journal Next America Poll. See also his presentation as a PowerPoint download.
Additional coverage of the event included:
• Small Reason for Optimism on American Race Relations
• Can Minorities Achieve the American Dream?
• Tweets From the Event
Additionally, please take the survey, providing feedback on the event.