NSA Backers: Don’t Condemn Spying Because of Lack of Terrorist Threats Stopped

A former FISC judge and a former Justice Department official defended the NSA’s program that collects U.S. phone records.

National Journal
Jack Fitzpatrick
See more stories about...
Jack Fitzpatrick
Jan. 28, 2014, 12:09 p.m.

A former For­eign In­tel­li­gence Sur­veil­lance Court judge and a former deputy as­sist­ant at­tor­ney gen­er­al both ar­gued Tues­day that it was off base to judge the Na­tion­al Se­cur­ity Agency’s phone-call data-col­lec­tion pro­gram by how many spe­cif­ic ter­ror­ist threats it helped thwart.

Rather than judging the NSA pro­gram’s suc­cess based on in­di­vidu­al ter­ror­ist threats, the pub­lic needs to view bulk-data col­lec­tion as gath­er­ing the “build­ing blocks” that start in­vest­ig­a­tions in­to ter­ror­ist activ­ity, said Steven Brad­bury, who was deputy as­sist­ant at­tor­ney gen­er­al from 2004 to 2009.

“It’s the be­gin­ning of an in­vest­ig­a­tion,” Brad­bury said at a pan­el dis­cus­sion at the State of the Net con­fer­ence Tues­day. “It’s in or­der to get the build­ing blocks to find evid­ence that you put to­geth­er when later you may get a search war­rant, for ex­ample. So the ques­tion is, is it an in­put, an im­port­ant in­put in­to coun­terter­ror­ism in­vest­ig­a­tions?”

Brad­bury’s em­phas­is on re­fram­ing the de­bate over data col­lec­tion came in re­sponse to a re­port by the Pri­vacy and Civil Liber­ties Over­sight Board that the NSA’s phone-re­cords pro­gram au­thor­ized by Sec­tion 215 of the USA Pat­ri­ot Act is il­leg­al.

The re­port, pub­lished on Jan. 23, said there was “not a single in­stance in­volving a threat to the United States in which the tele­phone re­cords pro­gram made a con­crete dif­fer­ence.”

But Brad­bury said that look­ing for those con­crete res­ults misses the point. James Carr, a former Fed­er­al In­tel­li­gence Sur­veil­lance Court judge, agreed, say­ing the pro­gram provides “pre­curs­or in­form­a­tion.”

“Don’t ask the ques­tion, ‘Show us the case, the build­ing that didn’t get knocked down, the city that didn’t go up in flames,’ ” Carr said.

The board’s re­port found that the NSA phone-re­cords pro­gram has been valu­able in of­fer­ing leads on con­tacts of ter­ror­ism sus­pects. But it said many of those leads are du­plic­ated by FBI in­tel­li­gence-gath­er­ing ef­forts, and that many of the tips gleaned from the metadata sweeps simply cor­rob­or­ate the FBI’s in­form­a­tion.

The board ul­ti­mately deemed the pro­gram il­leg­al just a week after Pres­id­ent Obama em­braced some struc­tur­al re­forms to the NSA while in­sist­ing that the agency must main­tain its abil­ity to mine mil­lions of phone re­cords.

Brad­bury’s and Carr’s in­sist­ence that it is ir­rel­ev­ant to tie the phone pro­gram’s suc­cess to con­crete res­ults did not sit well with Michelle Richard­son, le­gis­lat­ive coun­sel for the ACLU.

Richard­son said that the pro­gram had to be eval­u­ated some­how. When Brad­bury and Carr cri­ti­cized the ques­tion of wheth­er spe­cif­ic ter­ror­ist threats had been stopped, Richard­son re­spon­ded, “I’m sorry, but what oth­er ques­tion could there be?”

What We're Following See More »
TAKING A LONG VIEW TO SOUTHERN STATES
In Dropout Speech, Santorum Endorses Rubio
3 days ago
THE DETAILS

As expected after earlier reports on Wednesday, Rick Santorum ended his presidential bid. But less expected: he threw his support to Marco Rubio. After noting he spoke with Rubio the day before for an hour, he said, “Someone who has a real understanding of the threat of ISIS, real understanding of the threat of fundamentalist Islam, and has experience, one of the things I wanted was someone who has experience in this area, and that’s why we decided to support Marco Rubio.” It doesn’t figure to help Rubio much in New Hampshire, but the Santorum nod could pay dividends down the road in southern states.

Source:
‘PITTING PEOPLE AGAINST EACH OTHER’
Rubio, Trump Question Obama’s Mosque Visit
3 days ago
WHY WE CARE

President Obama’s decision to visit a mosque in Baltimore today was never going to be completely uncontroversial. And Donald Trump and Marco Rubio proved it. “Maybe he feels comfortable there,” Trump told interviewer Greta van Susteren on Fox News. “There are a lot of places he can go, and he chose a mosque.” And in New Hampshire, Rubio said of Obama, “Always pitting people against each other. Always. Look at today – he gave a speech at a mosque. Oh, you know, basically implying that America is discriminating against Muslims.”

Source:
THE TIME IS NOW, TED
Cruz Must Max Out on Evangelical Support through Early March
3 days ago
WHY WE CARE

For Ted Cruz, a strong showing in New Hampshire would be nice, but not necessary. That’s because evangelical voters only make up 21% of the Granite State’s population. “But from the February 20 South Carolina primary through March 15, there are nine states (South Carolina, Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Kentucky, Mississippi, and North Carolina) with an estimated white-Evangelical percentage of the GOP electorate over 60 percent, and another four (Texas, Kansas, Louisiana, and Missouri) that come in over 50 percent.” But after that, he better be in the catbird’s seat, because only four smaller states remain with evangelical voter majorities.

Source:
CHRISTIE, BUSH TRYING TO TAKE HIM DOWN
Rubio Now Winning the ‘Endorsement Primary’
2 days ago
WHY WE CARE

Since his strong third-place finish in Iowa, Marco Rubio has won endorsement by two sitting senators and two congressmen, putting him in the lead for the first time of FiveThirtyEight‘s Endorsement Tracker. “Some politicians had put early support behind Jeb Bush — he had led [their] list since August — but since January the only new endorsement he has received was from former presidential candidate Sen. Lindsey Graham.” Meanwhile, the New York Times reports that fueled by resentment, “members of the Bush and Christie campaigns have communicated about their mutual desire to halt … Rubio’s rise in the polls.”

Source:
7 REPUBLICANS ON STAGE
Carly Fiorina Will Not Be Allowed to Debate on Saturday
2 days ago
THE LATEST

ABC News has announced the criteria for Saturday’s Republican debate, and that means Carly Fiorina won’t be a part of it. The network is demanding candidates have “a top-three finish in Iowa, a top-six standing in an average of recent New Hampshire polls or a top-six placement in national polls in order for candidates to qualify.” And there will be no “happy hour” undercard debate this time. “So that means no Fiorina vs. Jim Gilmore showdown earlier in the evening for the most ardent of campaign 2016 junkies.

Source:
×