With Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels scheduled to give the Republican response to President Obama's State of the Union address on Tuesday, he'll join a long list of other politicians who have given responses to presidents' addresses during the past 46 years. Below are those governors, members, and others who gave the official responses to State of the Union addresses, based on information from the House of Representatives' Office of the Clerk:
Sen. Everett Dirksen, R-Ill., and Rep. Gerald Ford, R-Mich.
This was the first organized televised State of the Union response.
Dirksen and Ford
- Rep. William Steiger, R-Wis.
- Sen. Thomas Kuchel, R-Calif.
- Rep. Ford
- Sen. Charles Percy, R-Ill.
- Rep. Richard Poff, R-Va.
- Rep. George Bush, R-Texas
- Rep. Robert Mathias, R-Calif.
- Sen. Howard Baker, R-Tenn.
- Sen. Hugh Scott, R-Pa.
- Sen. John Tower, R-Texas
- Rep. Charlotte Reid, R-Ill.
- Sen. Peter Dominick, R-Colo.
- Rep. Albert Quie, R-Minn.
- Rep. Melvin Laird, R-Wis.
- Sen. Robert P. Griffin, R-Mich.
- Sen. George Murphy, R-Calif.
No response to President Johnson’s speech, which was delivered six days before President Nixon's inauguration.
- Sen. William Proxmire, D-Wis.
- Rep. Donald Fraser, D-Minn.
- Senator Mike Mansfield, D-Mont.
- Sen. Henry “Scoop” Jackson, D-Wash.
- Sen. Edmund Muskie, D-Maine
- Rep. Patsy Mink, D-Hawaii
- Rep. John McCormack, D-Mass.
- Sen. Proxmire
- Sen. Frank Church, D-Idaho
- Sen. Thomas Eagleton, D-Mo.
- Sen. Lloyd Bentsen, D-Texas
- Rep. Leonor Sullivan, D-Mo.
- Rep. John Melcher, D-Mont.
- Rep. John Brademas, D-Ind.
- Rep. Martha Griffiths, D-Mich.
- Rep. Ralph Metcalfe, D-Ill.
- Rep. Carl Albert, D-Okla.
- Rep. Hale Boggs, D-La.
No response. Inauguration of President Nixon.
Sen. Hubert Humphrey, D-Minn., and Rep. Carl Albert, D-Okla.
No response to President Ford’s final annual message.
Sen. Baker and Rep. John Rhodes, R-Ariz.
Sen. Baker and Rep. Rhodes
Sen. Ted Stevens, R-Alaska, and Rep. Rhodes
No response. Inauguration of President Reagan on Jan. 20.
- Sen. Donald Riegle, D-Mich.
- Sen. James Sasser, D-Tenn.
- Rep. Al Gore, D-Tenn.
- Sen. Robert Byrd, D-W.Va.
- Sen. Edward Kennedy, D-Mass.
- House Speaker Thomas P. O’Neill, D-Mass.
- Sen. Gary Hart, D-Colo.
- Sen. Paul Sarbanes, D-Md.
- Sen. J. Bennett Johnston, D-La.
- Sen. Alan Cranston, D-Calif.
In a prerecorded televised program:
- Sen. Byrd
- Sen. Paul Tsongas, D-Mass.
- Sen. Bill Bradley, D-N.J.
- Sen. Joe Biden, D-Del.
- Rep. Tom Daschle, D-S.D.
- Rep. Barbara Kennelly, D-Conn.
- House Speaker O’Neill
- Rep. George Miller, D-Calif.
- Rep. Les AuCoin, D-Ore.
- Rep. Paul Simon, D-Ill.
- Rep. Timothy Wirth, D-Colo.
- Rep. W.G. “Bill” Hefner, D-N.C.
- Sen. Biden
- Sen. David Boren, D-Okla.
- Sen. Carl Levin, D-Mich.
- Sen. Max Baucus, D-Mont.
- Sen. Byrd
- Sen. Clairborne Pell, D-R.I.
- Sen. Walter Huddleston, D-Ky.
- Rep. Dante B. Fascell, D-Fla.
- Rep. Tom Harkin, D-Iowa
- Rep. William Gray, D-Pa.
- House Speaker O’Neill
- Rep. Barbara Boxer, D-Calif.
In a televised discussion among randomly selected Democratic voters:
- Arkansas Gov. Bill Clinton
- Florida Gov. Bob Graham
- House Speaker O'Neill
This was the first response since 1966 which featured responders who were not members of Congress.
- Sen. George Mitchell, D-Maine
- Missouri Lt. Gov. Harriett Woods
- Virginia Gov. Charles Robb
- Rep. Daschle
- Rep. Gray
Sen. Byrd and House Speaker Jim Wright, D-Texas
Sen. Byrd and House Speaker Wright
George H.W. Bush
House Speaker Wright and Sen. Bentsen
House Speaker Tom Foley, D-Wash.
House Speaker Foley
No response. Inauguration of President Bill Clinton.
Sen. Bob Dole, R-Kan.
New Jersey Gov. Christine Todd Whitman
Rep. J.C. Watts, R-Okla.
Sen. Trent Lott, R-Miss.
Reps. Jennifer Dunn, R-Wash., and Steve Largent, R-Okla.
Sens. Susan Collins, R-Maine, and Bill Frist, R-Tenn.
George W. Bush
No response. Inauguration of President George W. Bush.
Rep. Richard Gephardt, D-Mo.
Washington Gov. Gary Locke
Sen. Tom Daschle, D-S.D., and Rep. Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif.
Rep. Pelosi and Sen. Harry Reid, D-Nev.
Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine
Sen. Jim Webb, D-Va.
Kansas Gov. Kathleen Sebelius
No response. Inauguration of President Barack Obama.
Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell
Rep. Paul Ryan, R-Wis.