Skip Navigation

Close and don't show again.

Your browser is out of date.

You may not get the full experience here on National Journal.

Please upgrade your browser to any of the following supported browsers:

Reports: Qaddafi's Forces Enter Benghazi Reports: Qaddafi's Forces Enter Benghazi

NEXT :
This ad will end in seconds
 
Close X

Not a member or subscriber? Learn More »

Forget Your Password?

Don't have an account? Register »

Reveal Navigation
 

 

Libya

Reports: Qaddafi's Forces Enter Benghazi

+

Earlier this month, Libyan rebels celebrated reports that the Qaddafi counterattack had failed, while preparing to battle in Ajdabiya. Since then, Qaddafi has begun to retake the east. (MARCO LONGARI/AFP/Getty Images)

Despite a U.N. resolution, President Obama's calls for an immediate ceasefire and the threat of international military intervention, forces led by Libyan dictator Muammar el-Qaddafi entered the rebel-held city of Benghazi on Saturday.

Qaddafi called the U.N. resolution, passed on Thursday, "invalid," according to the Associated Press, and he said he sent a letter to Obama and other leaders explaining his decision.

 

Obama is in Brazil as part of a planned trip there, and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton is in Paris with other world leaders to discuss how to coordinate the no-fly zone. The Security Council resolution authorizes the use of any force necessary to protect civilians, excluding the use of occupation forces.

On Friday Obama delivered an address in the East Room and said in unequivocal terms that Qaddafi must withdraw forces from rebel-held cities and cease attacks on civilians.

"These terms are not subject to negotiation. If Qaddafi does not comply with the resolution, the international community will impose consequences. And the resolution will be enforced through military action," Obama said.

 
Comments
comments powered by Disqus
 
MORE NATIONAL JOURNAL
 
 
 
 
What should you expect from on Election Night?
See more ▲
 
Hide