• President Bush and first lady Laura Bush participate in a commemorative tree planting. (White House, 10:05 a.m.) Bush then signs H.R. 1593 and meets with the senior minister of Singapore. (10:30 a.m. and 11 a.m., respectively)
• Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice testifies before the Senate Appropriations Committee State, Foreign Operations, and Related Programs subcommittee hearing on FY09 appropriations. (138 Dirksen, 10 a.m.)
• United States Trade Representative Susan Schwab testifies before the House Appropriations Committee Commerce, Justice, Science, and Related Agencies Subcommittee. (H-309, U.S. Capitol, 9:30 a.m.)
• Commerce Secretary Carlos Gutierrez and Labor Secretary Elaine Chao participate in a meeting with Colombian labor leaders to discuss the Colombia Free Trade Agreement. (Labor Department, 3 p.m.) Chao later delivers remarks at the Keppler Speakers 25th anniversary gala. (Newseum, 6:30 p.m.)
• The Senate meets at 9:30 a.m. for morning business and 10:30 a.m. to resume consideration of H.R.3221. The House meets at 10:00 a.m. to consider eight suspensions.
• The Senate Armed Services Committee holds a full committee hearing on the situation in Iraq. (216 Hart, 9:30 a.m.)
• The House (Select) Intelligence Committee holds a full committee hearing on "Assessing the Fight Against al Qaeda." (210 Cannon, noon)
• The House Armed Services Committee holds a full committee hearing on the situation in Iraq. (2118 Rayburn, 9 a.m.)
• Senate Minority Whip Jon Kyl, R-Ariz., Senate Banking Chairman Christopher Dodd, D-Conn., Senate Rules and Administration Chairwoman Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., Sens. Kay Bailey Hutchison, R-Texas, Norm Coleman, R-Minn., Frank Lautenberg, D-N.J., and Reps. John Shadegg, R-Ariz., and Ed Pastor, D-Ariz, attend a luncheon to recognize April as National Child Abuse Prevention Month. (325 Russell, noon)
• Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., receive the Franklin Delano Roosevelt Distinguished Public Service Award at a Gala Dinner to celebrate the 75th anniversary of the New Deal. (Old Post Office Pavilion, 7:30 p.m.)
• The Woodrow Wilson Center hosts a discussion on "Iraq: Looking to the Next Five Years," with Iraqi Ambassador to the U.S. Samir Shakir Mahmood Sumaida'ie. (1300 Pennsylvania Ave., NW, noon)
Details of these and other events are available in today's Daybook.
DON'T MISS TODAY'S TOP STORIES