Debut Date: 09/17/2008
Barack Obama for President: "Plan for Change"
Running Time: 02:00
Ad Buy: "key targeted battleground states" on national cable
Cost: not disclosed
Summary: Obama argues for middle-class tax cuts, increased regulation of financial markets and investment in alternative energy.
Script for "Plan for Change" (TV)
BARACK OBAMA: In the past few weeks, Wall Street's been rocked as banks closed and markets tumbled.
But for many of you -- the people I've met in town halls, back yards and diners across America -- our troubled economy isn't news.
Six hundred thousand Americans have lost their jobs since January. Paychecks are flat and home values are falling. It's hard to pay for gas and groceries, and if you put it on a credit card, they've probably raised your rates. You're paying more than ever for health insurance that covers less and less.
This isn't just a string of bad luck. The truth is that while you've been living up to your responsibilities, Washington has not. That's why we need change. Real change.
This is no ordinary time, and it shouldn't be an ordinary election. But much of this campaign has been consumed by petty attacks and distractions that have nothing to do with you or how we get America back on track.
(Text on screen: Read the whole plan: BarackObama.com/plan)
Here's what I believe we need to do.
• Reform our tax system to give a $1,000 tax break to the middle class instead of showering more on oil companies and corporations that outsource our jobs.
• End the "anything goes" culture on Wall Street with real regulation that protects your investments and pensions.
• Fast-track a plan for energy "made in America" that will free us from our dependence on mid-east oil in 10 years and put millions of Americans to work.
• Crack down on lobbyists -- once and for all -- so their back-room deal-making no longer drowns out the voices of the middle class and undermines our common interests as Americans.
• And yes, bring a responsible end to the war in Iraq so we stop spending billions each month rebuilding their country when we should be rebuilding ours.
Doing these things won't be easy. But we're Americans. We've met tough challenges before. And we can again.
I'm Barack Obama. I hope you'll read my economic plan. I approved this message because bitter partisan fights and outworn ideas of the left and the right won't solve the problems we face today. But a new spirit of unity and shared responsibility will.
(Text on screen: Paid for by Obama for America)