Skip Navigation

Close and don't show again.

Your browser is out of date.

You may not get the full experience here on National Journal.

Please upgrade your browser to any of the following supported browsers:

There Were Just Six Arrests In Ferguson Last Night There Were Just Six Arrests In Ferguson Last Night

This ad will end in seconds
Close X

Want access to this content? Learn More »

Forget Your Password?

Don't have an account? Register »

Reveal Navigation


There Were Just Six Arrests In Ferguson Last Night

Police captain: "Tonight was a very good night."


Fred Scott joins other demonstrators protesting the killing of teenager Michael Brown.(Scott Olson / Getty)

Last night in Ferguson was relatively peaceful. 

According to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, there were six arrests overnight Wednesday into Thursday morning. Compare that to Tuesday night, when there were 47 arrests, or Monday night and early Tuesday morning when there were nearly 80.  "We didn't have as many of the agitators," Missouri Highway Patrol Capt. Ron Johnson, who is in charge of security on the streets of Ferguson, told reporters at a 1:30 a.m. press conference Thursday. 


"Tonight, the radios were mostly quiet," Johnson said, according to CBS. "There were no Molotov cocktails, no fires, no shootings. Tonight, we deployed no smoke, no tear gas, and no mace." It was "a very good night," he said. 

In part, the calm may be attributable to a stormy night:


But 11 days into the protests, perhaps there's hope that some of the anger fueling the violence has dissipated. Last night, around 100 local clergy members were on the scene urging peace. Here's more from the Post-Dispatch:

About 100 St. Louis area clergy members wore bright orange "Clergy United" T-shirts as they walked with protesters. They made up at least half the crowd and got much of the credit for keeping the night calm.

"When things heat up we don't mind jumping into the middle of the fuss because we know who watches us," said Pastor Doug Hollis.

Protesters also counseled each other to stay civil and avoid giving police officers a reason to use tear gas—which was avoided Tuesday night and again on Wednesday night.

One exception to the calm came when two protesters arrived on West Florissant Avenue carrying signs supporting the officer who shot and killed Michael Brown on Aug. 9. But while things became tense at the scene, nothing more came of it than yelling and a single thrown water bottle.

Don't Miss Today's Top Stories


Rick, Executive Director for Policy

Concise coverage of everything I wish I had hours to read about."

Chuck, Graduate Student

The day's action in one quick read."

Stacy, Director of Communications

I find them informative and appreciate the daily news updates and enjoy the humor as well."

Richard, VP of Government Affairs

Chock full of usable information on today's issues. "

Michael, Executive Director

Sign up form for the newsletter