Skip Navigation

Close and don't show again.

Your browser is out of date.

You may not get the full experience here on National Journal.

Please upgrade your browser to any of the following supported browsers:

Reveal Navigation

GOP Goes After Obama With New Benghazi Report GOP Goes After Obama With New Benghazi Report GOP Goes After Obama With New Benghazi Report GOP Goes After Obama With...

share
This ad will end in seconds
 
Close X

Not a member? Learn More »

Forget Your Password?

Don't have an account? Register »

Reveal Navigation
 

 

Defense

GOP Goes After Obama With New Benghazi Report

The report aligns closely with party findings from last year.

Rep. Buck McKeon and other Republican members of the House Armed Services Committee released the report Tuesday.(Alex Wong/Getty Images)

photo of Jordain Carney
February 11, 2014

A House subcommittee report released Tuesday places the blame over the response to the Benghazi terrorist attack squarely on the administration's shoulders.

The report from the House Armed Services Subcommittee on Oversight and Investigations is backed by Republican members of the subcommittee, as well as Reps. Buck McKeon, Mac Thornberry, and Martha Roby. And though at multiple points the report singles out the White House and the State Department as being at fault, it largely clears the Defense Department from any blame.

The report isn't the first time members of Congress have questioned the State Department's actions in the wake of the Benghazi attack. A January report from the Senate Intelligence Committee found that the State Department didn't increase security despite warnings.

 

Tuesday's report contains a handful of key findings:

  • The White House either ignored or didn't understand the shifting security threat in Libya, and threats to U.S. interests in the country.

  • U.S. personnel in Benghazi were vulnerable because the administration didn't call for an increase in military presence, there wasn't a specific "imminent" threat in the country, and the State Department pressed for fewer Defense Department security officials in Libya.

  • The Defense Department believed from the beginning that the Sept. 11, 2012 incident was a terrorist attack.

  • The military did not fully prepare for a longer operation in Libya because of uncertainty over the specifics of the Benghazi attack. And the military's immediate response to the attack was scaled back because of a lack of geographic readiness within U.S. forces.

  • Military officials from Tripoli who tried to aid Benghazi did not receive a "stand down" order, but roles and responsibilities for individuals were unclear.

  • The Defense Department is correcting faults highlighted by the Benghazi attack, despite the department's budget crunch.

A duo of Democratic committee members said the report should bring "this attempt to manufacture a scandal to an end," referring to what they consider a push by some Republicans to politicize the attacks.

"While Republicans in both the House and Senate have continued to attack the motivations and actions of those who serve in our country's national security apparatus, this Republican prepared report clearly states that the Department of Defense responded appropriately, quickly, to the best of its ability at that time, and that no 'stand down' order was ever issued. All of these conclusions are counter to assertions and accusations leveled by a number of Republicans," said Democratic Reps. Adam Smith and Niki Tsongas.

Get us in your feed.
 
Comments
comments powered by Disqus