The pro-labor super PAC Workers' Voice, which today announced its plan to mobilize workers ahead of the 2012 election, recently hired former AFL-CIO communications specialist Eddie Vale as its communications director -- he'll continue to do communications on the health care front -- and former SEIU new media director Tim Tagaris as its digital director. They joined the super PAC April 1.
- George Wu is joining the VENG Group as a partner and will serve as the managing partner of the firm's soon-to-open Los Angeles office. Wu is the former executive director of OCA (formerly known as the Organization of Chinese Americans) and was also the chairperson of the National Council of Asian Pacific Americans.
- Venable has hired Kelly Herman as an of counsel in its international trade practice. She is a veteran of the U.S. Customs and Border Protection and the U.S. Trade Representative's office.
- John Fernandez, a former assistant secretary of Commerce in the Obama administration and mayor of Bloomington, Ind., has joined SNR Denton as the firm's first-ever innovation strategy director. He will oversee the firm's best-practices efforts.
- Julie Tippens has been named the director of strategic partnerships at the National Committee to Preserve Social Security and Medicare. She has worked for several Democratic House members, the National Abortion Rights Action League and the Women's Campaign Fund.
- Robert Nichols is heading to Covington & Burling to co-chair the firm's government contracts practice group. He has been in private practice for the past 12 years, focusing on government contracts.