Using the amount their firms were paid, the number and diversity of clients and the number of Fortune 100 clients they represented, First Street compiled lists of the top lobbyists in town, divided among former members of Congress, former staffers and professional lobbyists.
The former lawmakers are:
• Sen. John Breaux - Breaux Lott Leadership Group & Patton Boggs
• Rep. Thomas Downey - Downey McGrath Group
• Rep. Victor Fazio - Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld
• Rep. Richard Gephardt - Gephardt Group Government Affairs
• Sen. Tim Hutchinson - Dickstein Shapiro
• Rep. Robert Livingston - The Livingston Group
• Sen. Trent Lott - Breaux Lott Leadership Group & Patton Boggs
• Rep. James McCrery, III - Capitol Counsel
• Rep. Bill Paxon - Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld
• Rep. Vin Weber - Clark & Weinstock
• Randall Gerard - Podesta Group
• Christopher Hatcher - Williams and Jensen
• Kate Hull - Fierce, Isakowitz & Blalock
• Drew Maloney - Ogilvy Government Relations
• Jeffrey McMillen - Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld
• Michael Merola - Winning Strategies Washington
• Daniel Meyer - The Duberstein Group
• Jonathan Talisman - Capitol Tax Partners
• Alex Vogel - Mehlman Vogel Castagnetti
• Letitia White - Innovative Federal Strategies
• Wayne Berman - Ogilvy Government Relations
• Jack MacAuley Burkman - J M Burkman & Associates
• Jack Steven Hart - Williams and Jensen
• Lindsay Hooper - Capitol Tax Partners
• Mark McInytre - Russ Reid Company
• Tony Podesta - Podesta Group
• John Raffaelli - Capitol Counsel
• Barney Skladany - Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld
• Michael Smith - Cornerstone Government Affairs
• Stu Van Scoyoc - Van Scoyoc Associates & Capitol Decisions
These lobbyists all average over 50 clients, who paid an average of $144,737 for their services, according to First Street. This was the inaugural edition of the ranking, dubbed the First Street 30. First Street -- an arm of CQ Press formed this year -- analyzes government and lobbying data and issues weekly reports about policy.
Don't Miss Today's Top Stories
Rick, Executive Director for Policy
Concise coverage of everything I wish I had hours to read about."
Chuck, Graduate Student
The day's action in one quick read."
Stacy, Director of Communications
I find them informative and appreciate the daily news updates and enjoy the humor as well."
Richard, VP of Government Affairs
Chock full of usable information on today's issues. "
Michael, Executive Director