Hotline Sort: Mack Misses Vote on Ryan Budget
Welcome back to Hotline Sort. Our latest Senate race rankings are out, as Massachusetts ticks down on the list of potential pickups. Meanwhile, Mack misses a key vote on the Ryan budget, Heitkamp goes up on TV, the DGA raises $8 million during the first quarter and Mark Block is back in the news. Here's today's rundown:
9) Remember Mark Block, the Herman Cain adviser famously smoking in what became a viral campaign video? He's facing potential legal trouble now: Corporations he founded are facing a federal investigation, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports.
8) Arizona Democratic state Sen. Paula Aboud is dropping out of the November general election in Arizona's 2nd District and backing Ron Barber, a former aide to Gabrielle Giffords.
7) Former North Dakota Democratic Attorney General Heidi Heitkamp is up with her first TV ad, a positive spot that is airing beginning on Friday (the state GOP convention is this weekend). "Mom was a school janitor. Dad never finished high school. He used to work out on these roads. And they believed in us. All seven kids went to college," Heitkamp says in the spot.
6) Virginia Democratic state Sen. Chap Petersen is all but certain to run for governor in 2013, an adviser tells the Washington Post. That would set up a fascinating Terry McCauliffe-Petersen Democratic primary in 2013.
5) The Democratic Governors Association raised $8 million in the first three months of 2012. The Republican Governors Association has not released its numbers yet, but it has been easily outpacing the DGA so far this cycle.