5) The RNC outraised the DNC in November
, bringing in $7.1 million to the DNC's $6.7 million (including $2.7 million from the Obama Victory Fund). The RNC has more money in the bank ($14.1 million) than its Democratic counterpart ($10.5 million) but also carries more debt ($13.9 million) than the DNC ($7.8 million).
4) For a redistricting process that was marked by high drama, including removing -- and then reinstating -- the independent redistricting commission chairwoman, Arizona maps won approval from the commission Tuesday night. The new lines are only minor tweaks from the first draft
, and would result in four safe GOP districts, two Democratic districts, and three toss up seats. The changes made
the 1st District slightly worse for freshman Rep. Paul Gosar
, R-Ariz.. In the new map, Rep. Dave Schweikert
, R-Ariz., was now drawn into the new 6th District, but still faces a possible primary with fellow freshman Rep. Ben Quayle
, R-Ariz., whose home is in the much more difficult 9th District.
3) The latest Newt Gingrich/Mitt Romney
fight is over super PACs
, even as each has benefited from the presence of such groups in the presidential race.
2) There is some good news for President Obama
in the latest CNN/ORC International Poll
-- his leads against five possible GOP challengers has increased and so has his approval rating.
1) How close is the race to replace Sen. Jim Webb
, D-Va.? Quinnipiac University released their fourth and final poll
of the commonwealth in 2011 Wednesday morning, and for the first time, one candidate -- former GOP Sen. George Allen
-- has opened up a two point lead, outpacing DNC Chairman Tim Kaine
, 44 percent to 42 percent. In June, Kaine led by one point. Allen led by one point in September, but Kaine reclaimed the slightest of edges in October. The two are likely to remain neck-and-neck until the campaign begins in earnest next year -- and beyond.
-- Steven Shepard and Jessica Taylor contributed