Skip Navigation

Close and don't show again.

Your browser is out of date.

You may not get the full experience here on National Journal.

Please upgrade your browser to any of the following supported browsers:

Marshall Wins Democratic Nomination In Nevada Special Marshall Wins Democratic Nomination In Nevada Special

NEXT :
This ad will end in seconds
Close X

Not a member or subscriber? Learn More »

Forget Your Password?

Don't have an account? Register »

Reveal Navigation

 

Marshall Wins Democratic Nomination In Nevada Special

At the Nevada Democratic Central Committee Saturday, Treasurer Kate Marshall won the party's nomination for the special election in the state's 2nd congressional district in a landslide. Marshall, who had the support of Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, had been widely expected to win.

Marshall won 117 votes of 122 cast, the Associated Press reported . Former university regent Nancy Price, the only other candidate with any name recognition, withdrew yesterday from the campaign.

"I am honored to receive this nomination, Nevadans deserve a voice in Congress that will fight for middle class families, and that's what I intend to do. I'll work every day to create jobs in northern Nevada and win the fight to control runaway spending in Washington," said Marshall in a statement.

"Kate Marshall lost $50 million of Nevada taxpayers' money on a Wall Street gamble," said National Republican Campaign Committee spokesperson Tyler Houlton in a statement. "Marshall merely represents more of the same failed liberal policies that have given Nevada severe job losses and home foreclosures. Nevada voters will not only reject Marshall's dismal record as the state's top financial officer, they will reject her for being Harry Reid's handpicked candidate to continue Washington's spending culture."

Former state Sen. Mark Amodei easily won the Republican nomination last weekend.

The seat has been open since its former occupant, Sen. Dean Heller, R-Nev., was appointed to the Senate. The special election is scheduled for September 13, but it's still unclear which candidates will be allowed to enter: though Secretary of State Ross Miller initially decided any qualifying candidate could run, the state GOP appealed and Miller's decision was overturned by a district court. The state Supreme Court will make the final call, and could rule that the race will be an open contest (the "ballot royale" scenario), or that the state parties nominate the candidates.

A hearing before the state Supreme court is scheduled for June 28.

Don't Miss Today's Top Stories

Excellent!"

Rick, Executive Director for Policy

Concise coverage of everything I wish I had hours to read about."

Chuck, Graduate Student

The day's action in one quick read."

Stacy, Director of Communications

I find them informative and appreciate the daily news updates and enjoy the humor as well."

Richard, VP of Government Affairs

Chock full of usable information on today's issues. "

Michael, Executive Director

Sign up form for the newsletter
MORE NATIONAL JOURNAL
 
 
Make your Election Night headquarters.
See more ▲
 
Hide