Former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty (R) has come out against the budget compromise that was reached late last week, putting him at odds with both Congressional Republican leaders and the White House, who worked to broker the deal.
"When you consider that the federal deficit in February alone was over $222 billion, to have actual cuts less than the $38 billion originally advertised is just not serious," Pawlenty said in a statement. "The fact that billions of dollars advertised as cuts were not scheduled to be spent in any case makes this budget wholly unacceptable. It's no surprise that President Obama and Senator Reid forced this budget, but it should be rejected. America deserves better."
Pawlenty also blasted the speech Obama delivered Wednesday, in which the president unveiled his framework to reduce the deficit by $4 trillion over the next 12 years.
"Today's speech was nothing more than window dressing. President Obama's lack of seriousness on deficit reduction is crystal clear when you look at the budget deal he insisted on to avoid a government shutdown. The more we learn about the budget deal the worse it looks," Pawlenty said.
DON'T MISS TODAY'S TOP STORIES
Chock full of usable information on today's issues."
Michael, Executive Director
Concise coverage of everything I wish I had hours to read about."
Chuck, Graduate Student
The day's action in one quick read."
Stacy , Director of Communications
Great way to keep up with Washington"
Ray, Professor of Economics