The day after reports surfaced that he wasn’t being vetted as a potential vice presidential pick, Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., on Wednesday continued to remain mum on the process, instead attacking the president on immigration while promoting his new book.
“It’s part of the process, it comes with the territory and that’s fine,” Rubio said on Fox News, before reciting his pat answer that he wouldn’t discuss the matter, saying of Romney: “I think he deserves the space to conduct that in the most professional way possible.” He then exclaimed: “But I do have a new book out.” On CBS's This Morning he also said he wouldn't discuss the matter, saying "I've made a decision long ago not to discuss the process. That's not going to change today."
On Tuesday, ABC reported that Rubio was not being vetted by Mitt Romney’s campaign, an assertion that was denied by Romney himself later in the day, insisting that Rubio was, in fact being “thoroughly vetted.”
Rubio raised the rhetoric on President Obama’s new immigration order allowing young immigrants to avoid deportation and apply for work permits, saying that “It poisons the well by injecting election-year politics. He’s doing this as an election-year stunt.” Rubio had been working to introduce his own version of the so-called Dream Act, a measure that now will likely be shelved in light of Obama’s order.
Alexandra Jaffe contributed contributed to this article.
DON'T MISS TODAY'S TOP STORIES