Skip Navigation

Close and don't show again.

Your browser is out of date.

You may not get the full experience here on National Journal.

Please upgrade your browser to any of the following supported browsers:

Huntsman Won't Attend Trump Debate, Bachmann on the Fence Huntsman Won't Attend Trump Debate, Bachmann on the Fence

NEXT :
This ad will end in seconds
 
Close X

Not a member or subscriber? Learn More »

Forget Your Password?

Don't have an account? Register »

Reveal Navigation
 

 

POLITICS

Huntsman Won't Attend Trump Debate, Bachmann on the Fence

So far, the Republican presidential field has been slow to jump on Donald Trump's latest bandwagon.

On Tuesday, former Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman rejected the invitation to participate in a Dec. 27 debate moderated by the media mogul and the conservative news organization Newsmax, while Rep. Michele Bachmann, R-Minn., said she was still on the fence. Of the seven candidates left in the GOP field, former House Speaker Newt Gingrich is the only one so far to confirm his appearance at the debate in Des Moines, Iowa.

 

Huntsman said on NBC's Today that he will not participate in the debate, calling the event “a joke.”

“I believe that the presidency of the United States of America is beyond reality shows,” Huntsman said. “This is about politics as show business.”

On CBS’s The Early Show, Bachmann said she still has not decided whether to participate in the debate, although she thinks Trump is “a wonderful guy.”

 

“We’re still in the process of looking at it,” she said. “But I have great respect for Donald Trump.”

Comments
comments powered by Disqus
 
MORE NATIONAL JOURNAL