Welcome to National Journal’s Convention Daybook, which provides a floor schedule and a list of major events at the Republican National Convention each day.
For Mitt Romney, today is the day. Months of campaigning—and years of organizing—will culminate tonight when he takes the stage to accept the Republican nomination for president and speak to millions of television viewers. Romney’s speech will mark the end of the convention and the start in earnest of a two-man race. Here are highlights from today’s floor action.
- Connie Mack, Florida representative and Senate nominee
- Newt Gingrich, former House speaker, and Callista Gingrich
- Craig Romney
- Jeb Bush, former Florida governor
- Bob White, chairman of Romney for President campaign
- Tom Stemberg, founder of Staples
- Kerry Healey, former Massachusetts lieutenant governor
- Jane Edmonds, former Massachusetts director of Workforce Development
- Olympians Michael Eruzione, Derek Parra, and Kim Rhode
- Marco Rubio, Florida senator
- Mitt Romney, presidential nominee